Xmas 2015

Copyright

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find inspiration and ideas from what you have seen here but I would ask you to please respect my copyright and not use my pictures for publishing as your own work, or for entry into challenges.

Monday 8 February 2016

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge 157 - Love, love, love

Julie is hosting our Love, Love, Love Challenge. As Valentine's Day is just around the corner we want to see your 'love' themed creations. 

You can enter anything you fancy, it doesn't have to just be cards, as long as it meets the challenge, and doesn't exceed the 15 total challenges entered rule!

My own project this time was something I made at a recent craft retreat run by Anna Marie Designs - and it is mixed media.  I am assuming it is for home decor - it's definitely too big to go on a card.  I'm not 100% sure I like it - but I am a firm believer in trying everything, because you never know when a crafty technique will sneak up and hook you!

The base is an MDF heart shape, with a matching frame that was glued onto it.  We then put on our rubber gloves and covered scrap ribbon, hession, gauze and various other materials in a black gunky stuff called structuriser.  It was MESSY.  Having covered all of the heart with the bits, we left it to dry.

The following day, we coated any parts of the MDF showing with black gesso and left that to dry too.

Then the fun part - colouring it!  We used on this occasion Viva Decor Inka Gold colours, but I would imagine you could use any creamy paste or gilding wax to get the same effect.  Finally, we went over the top randomly with a bit of pinflair on our finger and then sprinkled some crystal glass over the top.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't really show very well in the picture (and trust me, I tried very hard to get a good shot!) but I hope you get the idea.

I have come to the conclusion that super messy is not my thing - paints yes, the gunky structuriser?  I think I'll give it a miss...

And as an added extra, I thought I'd add a card I made using a shape from my Brother Scan n Cut.

This was a 6 x 6 black card base with an overlay in white with hearts cut out.  I sized the hearts down slightly and then cut them in red and stuck them inside the apertures.

Finally, I stamped some suitable words on the red hearts and added a hand cut tag with a sentiment on it.

Inside it just says Happy Valentines Day.

6 comments:

  1. I adore your mixed media heart and can imagine the messy fingers. Fabulous result in those gorgeous colours.
    Lovely heart card - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous lots of wonderful detail, the colours are beautiful.
    Beautiful card too hun.
    Hugs Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mixed media heart. Great texture and layering. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous projects Jackie. Your Valentines card is lovely and your MDF heart is stunning. I love the colours you have used and all the different textures are fabulous. Sally.x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie I love your mixed media heart it has so much wonderful going on! The other card is super cute too.

    Bec xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm with you on messy things, but the result is gorgeous! I love the jewel-effect you got - the shaded metallic colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete