Xmas 2015

Copyright

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find inspiration and ideas from what you have seen here but I would ask you to please respect my copyright and not use my pictures for publishing as your own work, or for entry into challenges.

Monday 16 November 2015

Challenge 152 Winter Birthday - Crafty Cardmakers & More

I am sure we all know some poor soul who has a Winter, or even worse a Christmas Birthday - our Design Team Leader Lin's is 27th December and my late mum's was the 19th! 

So for our challenge this time we want to see your Winter Birthday creations.

Josephine is hosting this one and will get to choose our Winner/Top 5.

 ***

I've been venturing back to distress ink backgrounds recently, so I decided to make mine a wintery sunset/sunrise scene, where the sun is pinkish rather than the luscious yellow of summer.

First thing I did was to shade the background of a square piece of stamping card, because my stamp (woodware) is a silhouette.  If you stamp the trees first, there is the chance you can smudge the image during the blending process, and also muddy the effect.

So using a mask, I made the hilly bits at the bottom, then used the same colours to make the top of the sky.  In the middle of the two I blended in two shades of pink - a deeper round area in the middle.  Having done that - I stamped over the top and using a quickie glue pen, added some glitter to my tree branches.

The card base is my favourite 6 x 6 - and I ran the front part of  it through the cut n boss in a creative expressions embossing folder.  Onto this I layered a pink dotty background paper onto which I placed my coloured image.  

It looked a bit flat - so I decided to make it a shaker!  I cut another piece of card the same size as my topper image, and cut the centre out to make a frame using a tonic square die.  After running this through the cut n boss in the same embossing folder previously used,  I backed the frame with acetate (using red liner tape to keep the acetate in place) and then edged the topper image with foam shaker tape.  In the centre of the image I placed a few small scoops of micro beads and after peeling off the shaker tape backing, stuck the frame firmly on top.  

With hindsight, I could have put more beads in there...

To finish my card, I added the sentiment in the top right hand corner.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning, Jackie. I'm in awe of your background - it's a technique I try from time to time but am never quite happy with the result. This one looks just perfect. I hadn't realised it was a shaker card (blame the fact that the one time I don't wear glasses is to look at a computer screen ...) but that just makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I do love my distress inks. The trick is to use the right card - it needs to be smooth or the ink doesn't blend very well. Although, sometimes, I quite like the grainy effect of more rougher card...

      I didn't put enough beads in this one - and didn't totally secure the bottom of the frame so some came out too! I've done a few toppers using this technique this year for Christmas cards. You might even get one...!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful background and scene. Lovely colours and layout is so nice. Such a lovely wintery card Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Jackie beautiful scene.
    Hugs Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card Jackie.
    I love these trees, but then I guess I am slightly biased as Jane named the stamp set for me!!
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete