Xmas 2015

Copyright

I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find inspiration and ideas from what you have seen here but I would ask you to please respect my copyright and not use my pictures for publishing as your own work, or for entry into challenges.

Monday 11 July 2011

Creative Expressions Calling Card Challenge

These are the basic materials to make this calling card (ATC) focussed card.
  
The base card was a hammered white card cut down to 6" by 6" size, with the edges coloured with Faded Mahogany distress ink.  On this occasion, as I wanted a heavier colour, I used a cut and dry foam pad.  If I had wantedthe colour to be lighter, I would have used an ink duster (from Inkylicious) as I find they give me a more delicate effect.

I used plain card distressed around the edges with Aged mahogany distress ink for the calling card.  Onto the centre I stamped a daisy flower, which was coloured with a combination of distress inks and water color pens, and around the edges of the card I used one of Clarity stamps (the swirl pattern).

The sentiment came (I think) from a Hero Arts stamp set.  In the centre of the daisy I put a gem. (It started as a crystal, but ended up a pearl!).

The other background layer was cut by a nestie, and using a paper from a Crafty Individuals background papers pad, Book 1.  The edges were distressed with the same coloured stamp pad as the base card.  I also used a strip of the cool stick on paper lace from Kars.

For the flower, I used a 2" six petal punch from Woodware to cut one shape, and cut two 1" daisy shapes from the Crafty individuals paper.  The edges were shaped and curled and coloured with the Aged Mahogany to tone in.  I then layered them up, ready to be used when the card was nearly finished.

TOP TIP - if you use the same paper for punching out flowers as the backing paper, you can ensure that the colours match.

First, distress the edges of the base card, which has been cut to be 6" by 6". I have used Aged Mahogany distress ink by Tim Holtz. Then put down the first layer. I have used a deep red textured paper with a shiny finish. This colour toned in with the faded mahogany distress ink, and provided a striking contrast.

I was only leaving a narrow edge on show in this paper, or I would have run it through the 'bug with one of my embossing folders - probably the lattice one from Creative Expressions, as that is one of my big faves at the moment. And you get a really cool effect with it on this paper! But as only a narrow edge would be showing it wasn't worth it.

The next step is to layer on top of the red card the decorative paper. 

For this, I chose a sheet from Life's Journey paper pad from K&Company. I've had the pad a fair while, so it might not be available any more...

I like to round the edges on my papers with the corner punch - to me it looks nicer than square.

I put the layer to the left hand side, so that my lace strip could go down the right hand side, showing the red through it.  Finally, I put the nestie shape onto the backing paper at a jaunty angle, using foam tape to raise it from the backing.

Next, I put the ATC card onto the nestie shape, also at an angle, and also using foam tape.

Finally, I put the flower onto the top right hand corner, and decorated the top left and bottom right corners with faux pearls.  As a final touch, there just had to be a butterfly in there - it's sitting on the leaf next to the flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment